Last Updated May 15, 2015
We collect information about you directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of our Services. We may combine information automatically collected with other information that we have collected about you.
- Information We Collect Directly From You. We may collect information about you directly from you. For example, we will collect your name and phone number when you create an account with us. We will also collect any other information that you provide to us through our Services, including without limitation your school, email address, profile picture, or fun facts about yourself.
- Brightens and User Content. You may post content to our Services, including posts written to you from one of your friends intended to brighten your day (“brightens”), comments to brightens, likes of or reactions to brightens, photos, gifs, emojis, and any other information (collectively, “Content”) that you would like to be available on our Services. Depending on the nature of your Content, other users may be able to see it. For more information about who can see your Content, please see our How We Disclose Your Information section below for more information
- Information We Collect Automatically Through Our Site. We automatically collect information through your use of our Site, including but not limited to, your Internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, domain name, the website that led you to our Site, your actions within the Site, the website to which you go after leaving our Site, dates and times you access our Site, and other logging data.
We also automatically collect information through your use of our App, including but not limited to, your IP address, browser type, domain name, device identification information, the website that led you to our App, your actions within the App, the website to which you go after leaving our App, dates and times you access our App, and other usage data. We may also automatically collect information about your geolocation.
We may combine this automatically collect information with other information that we collect about you. Please see our Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms section below for more information.
We may use your information, including personal information, for the following purposes:
- Providing, Developing, and Improving Our Services. To provide our Services; to improve our Services; to develop new services; to respond to your inquiries and complaints; to personalize content and provide suggestions to you; and for other Service-related and customer support purposes.
- Marketing and Communications. To communicate with you about our Services and your use of our Services, including via email or push notification; to provide you with news and newsletters, special offers, promotions, and other information we think may interest you; and for other informational, marketing, or promotional purposes.
- Research and Analytics. To analyze how you interact with our Services; and for other research, analytical, and statistical purposes.
- Legal Compliance. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations or requests, including informal requests from law enforcement or other governmental authorities.
We may your disclose your information, including personal information, to the following entities:
- Your Friends and Other Users. Our Services are all about sharing and brightening your friends’ days, which means that we may disclose your information to other users. For example, when you send a friend a brighten, your friend (and his or her friends) will be able to see the brighten – but only the content of the brighten, not the person (i.e., you) sharing it. You, your friend, or any of your friend’s friends on Brighten may be able to comment or react to your brighten. Such comments and reactions, as well as certain profile information, such as your name and profile picture, may be viewable by your friend and his or her friends.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your information to our vendors, service providers, agents, or others who perform functions on our behalf.
We may also disclose your information, including personal information, in the following ways:
- Business Transfers. We may disclose your information to another entity if we are acquired by or merged with another company, if we sell or transfer a business unit or assets to another company, as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, or as part of any other similar business transfer.
- Legal Compliance. We may disclose your information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government official.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for marketing, advertising, research, compliance, or other purposes.
We may also use Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
Our Site does not respond to Do Not Track signals. For more information about Do Not Track signals, please click here.
We have taken steps to help protect the personal information we collect. However, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your device and account by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Depending on your country of residence you may have the right to correct, update, access, or delete the personal information that we collect about you. You may update your personal information by logging into your account settings or emailing us at email@example.com.
We may send you promotional email messages. You may stop receiving promotional email messages by following the link contained in the email itself. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) days to process your request. Please also note that if you opt out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may continue to communicate with you regarding service-related issues.
Any information you provide to Brighten through our Services may be transferred to or accessed from the United States and other countries that may not guarantee the same level of protection of personal information as the one in which you reside.
Our App and Services are not targeted to children under 13 years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will promptly delete such personal information from our systems.